Mansfield Woodhouse is in the heart of Sherwood Forest, so it would have been part of Robin Hood’s old manor.
With a history dating back beyond the Romans, Mansfield Woodhouse still offers a traditional charm in its stone built centre, with the 17th century Manor House and neighbouring St Edmunds Church.
Leeming Lane is believed to have been the Old North Road during the Roman era and the Romans settled at Whinney Hill.
In 1304 the village was almost completely destroyed in a great fire, fortunately the village recovered and by Tudor times was home to a number of wealthy families.
Quarrying has a long history in Woodhouse and perhaps the most famous building to have benefited from the local stone was the Houses of Parliament. Local buildings constructed from Woodhouse stone include the Manor House which was constructed in the early 17th century, Clerkson’s Hall and Debdale Hall.
The oldest building in Woodhouse is believed to be the Wolf Hunt House on High Street, the name of which refers to the an old story that the occupant had to warn residents of prowling wolves in Sherwood Forest, this is probably true.
After the Industrial Revolution framework knitting joined quarrying and farming as the main sources of employment and Station Street was home to one of the earliest frame knitting shops in Nottinghamshire. The opening of its own railway in 1875 on the Mansfield-Worksop Line and the sinking of Sherwood Colliery in 1902/3 gave the local economy a boost and saw Woodhouse expand into a small town (although many residents still consider it to be a village).